National Disaster Management Commission
Composition of NDMC
- As soon as may be after the commencement of this Act the Federal Government may, by a notification in the Official Gazette, establish a Commission to be known as the National Disaster Management Commission.
- The National Commission shall consist of :-
|a.||The Prime Minister of Pakistan||Chairman|
|b.||Leader of the Opposition in the Senate||Member|
|c.||Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly||Member|
|d.||Minister for Defense||Member|
|e.||Minister for Health||Member|
|f.||Minister for Foreign Affairs||Member|
|g.||Minister for Social Welfare and Special Education||Member|
|h.||Minister for Communication||Member|
|i.||Minister for Finance||Member|
|j.||Minister for Interior||Member|
|k.||Governor Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (for Federally Administered Tribal Areas)||Member|
|l.||Chief Ministers of all the Provinces||Member|
|m.||Prime Minister, Government of AJK||Member|
|n.||Chief Executive (Chief Minister), Gilgit Baltistan||Member|
|o.||Chairman, JCSC or his nominee||Member|
|p.||Representatives of Civil Society or any other person appointed by the Prime Minister||Member|
|q.||Chairman, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)||Secretary|
3. The Director General, appointed under sub-section (3) of section 8 shall act as ex-officio Secretary of the National Commission.
Mandate of NDMC
- Subject to the provisions of NDMA Act 2010, the National Commission shall have the responsibility for laying down the policies, plans and guidelines for disaster management.
- Without prejudice to generality of the provisions in sub section (1) of the NDMA Act 2010 , the National Commission may :-
- Lay down policies on disaster management.
- Approve the National Plan.
- Approve plans prepared by the Ministries or Divisions of the Federal Government in accordance with the National Plan.
- Lay down guidelines to be followed by Federal Government and Provincial Authorities.
- Arrange for, and oversee, the provision of funds for the purpose of mitigation measures, preparedness and response.
- Provide such support to other countries affected by major disasters as Federal Government may determine.
- Take such other measures for the prevention of disaster, or the mitigation, or for preparedness and capacity building for dealing with disaster situation as it may consider necessary.
- The Chairperson of the National Commission shall, in the case of emergency, have power to exercise all or any of the powers of the National Commission but exercise of such powers shall be subject to ex-post facto ratification by the National Commission.